Monday, May 31, 2010

My Text Set

I chose to do the text set on the Oregon Trail. I am not currently teaching in a classroom. I took some time off to be with my kids and am working part time at an office and substitute teaching a lot for the school that I used to work for. I decided to do the text set on something that I found interesting and that I have always wanted to know more about... The Oregon Trail. It was a lot of fun researching and finding books/magazines/video about my subject. I talked to the fourth grade teacher at my school and she was able to point me in the right direction for finding relevant and fun material. I think that this text set will be a great resource for me in the future. It has also taught me how to create a text set, so that in the future I will be able to compile something like this for other subject areas. I am excited to see what other people have chosen. I won't include the whole text set, but a few examples....
Novels:
Ë Kudlinski, Kathleen. (1996). Facing West: A story of the Oregon Trail.
Ë Fishel, Anna. (2008). Kate Winfield on the Oregon Trail.
Ë Olsen, Tod. (2009). How to get Rich on the Oregon Trail.
Ë Anthony, Ellen. (2002). Jacob’s Oregon Trail Adventures.
Ë Mullin, Penn. (1999). Off to Oregon (Trailblazers Series)
Ë Spooner, Michael. (2001) Daniel’s Walk
Ë Rounds, Glen. (1994). The Prairie Schooners.
Ë Hermes, Patricia. (2000). Westward Home Joshua’s Diary: The Oregon Trail, 1848.
Ë Ransom, Candice. (1984) Amanda (Sunfire #1)
Ë Frazier, Neta. (1994) Stout-Hearted Stephen.
Ë Wall, Cynthia. (1998). A Spark to the Past.
Ë Lawton, Wendy. (2003). Ransom’s Mark: A story based on the life of the Pioneer Olive Oatman.

2 comments:

  1. What a fun topic! I completely understand your work situation, as I'm in the same spot right now.

    Were you able to find many poems, magazine or newspaper articles? If so, would you mind sharing a couple?

    I did the Revolutionary War, personally, and I found that creating a text set, like you said, definitely will prove to be a useful tool in the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great list. I will pass it on to my fourth grade team. They do a huge Oregon Trail unit and would love the list.

    ReplyDelete